Summer is the quintessential time for salads, there are so many fresh fruits and veggies to go around! I love me a salad, but sometimes the lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato, onion bit gets a little… old. These is an easy salad, with many other substitutions and flavor combination possibilities. Enjoy one of my summer favorites!
- 9 or so strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle of EVOO
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste, but at least 5 twists of the grinder)
- 2 TBSP feta cheese (goat cheese is a great substitution if you don’t like the tartness of feta)
- Lettuce of choice (arugula is by far my favorite with this, but we only had Bibb)
- Roughly tear or chop lettuce, rinse and set aside (As always, I use the salad spinner!)
- Rinse strawberries, hull and slice them into fourths
- Place strawberries into a bowl, coat with vinegar & fresh ground black pepper
- Put in fridge to chill & soak up the balsamic goodness. I usually let the strawberries marinate for as long as it takes me to cook the main course.
- Line salad bowls with the lettuce, combine with the strawberries & feta; drizzle s tiny bit of EVOO, toss again and serve!
This dish is so easy and tasty. It literally took me longer to write this blog post than it does to prepare the whole salad. Simple, delicious, and fresh!